Latest Read: If I Stay

Here are the basics ...
Book: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Websitehttp://www.gayleforman.com/
Category: Young Adult




My thoughts ...
Short summary: Seventeen year-old Mia has no memory of the accident she's just been in but she's forced to face the aftermath as she watches her own body being pulled out of the wreckage.  With each passing moment, she looks back on her life and on the loved ones who are fighting for her to survive.  


The good: It's such a beautiful and haunting story.  And this is coming from someone who usually stays away from stories dealing with watching oneself post disastrous accident or post death (Little fact about me? The movie Ghost freaked me out for years).  But I wanted to read this book because I read the second book first by accident last year. Though at the time, I didn't think I needed to read this. Now that I have - I don't know what took me so long! The author really brought the characters to life.  This wasn't just Mia's story, even though we saw everything through her eyes. I loved her parents, her brother, her boyfriend Adam, her best friend, her grandparents - the author made them all feel so real.  There were even a few moments that had me tearing up (a sign of a good book!).  

The bad: I wish the book was longer! I wanted to read about more of her memories; particularly those of Adam and their relationship.  But that's not really a bad thing. 

Do I recommend?:  Yes! And my other recommendation?  Read these two books in the correct order :)  

Happy reading! 

1 comment

  1. Oh, I really want to read this, like NOW. I may get the chance to pick up the book next week, so yay!

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel