Latest Read: Anna and the French Kiss

Here are the basics ...
Book: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Website: http://www.stephanieperkins.com/
Category: Young Adult




My thoughts ...
Short summary:  Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. Will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited? (Source: Goodreads.com)

The good: The book
 takes place in PARIS (!!).  Reading about the first time she saw Notre Dame, going to the Shakespeare & Company bookstore and knowing only two words of French reminded me so much of myself and my own trip.  I really related to Anna.  She's kind of quiet but at the same time funny, quirky, honest and most of all, realistically flawed.  I think that's what I liked most about her - she felt real.  Then Étienne St. Clair, you can count me as being on your list of many admirers.  I want to keep this spoiler free so all I'll say is.. you had me at Point Zero.    

The bad: I'm completely happy with the story as is but I don't think I would've minded more details about Anna's life at home or her other friendships in the book.  There were a few storylines I was still curious about by the end and one little thing was almost too perfect to be true but I'm willing to overlook them. I wanted a quick, feel-good read and this definitely provided that.


Do I recommend?:
Yes! I've been hearing about this book for a while now (especially from Estelle) but I kept hesitating because of the cover.  I know I know, you're not supposed to judge books by their cover but it just looked like it would be this fluffy, cutesy read.  Now I wish I'd read it sooner! Yes, it's cute but it's also a heartwarming and enjoyable book about love, friendship and readjusting to a brand new life.   

[My own trip to Point Zero -- Picture taken by Loren]

Happy reading! 

4 comments

  1. o0o.. gotta add this to my never-ending list of books that i don't have time to read yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you must add it! i think you'll really enjoy it. i'm gonna start harassing you to read all these books!

      Delete
  2. I have been curious about this one, but you're right... that COVER. *grimace*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cover is terrible! I know you don't usually read YA contemporary / romance but I'm starting to really like them especially since I've been reading some good ones. You should check this one out!

      Delete

with love,

Rachel