Latest Read: Insurgent

Here are the basics ...
BookInsurgent (#2 of Divergent Trilogy)
Author: Veronica Roth
Blog: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/
Category: Young Adult - Dystopian




My thoughts ...
Short summary: One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. (Credit: Amazon.com)

The good: I read this book in ONE day so there is a lot of good here.  A LOT. I re-read Divergent right before starting this because I wanted the story to be fresh in my mind (which I definitely recommend doing if it's been a while since you read the first book).  Insurgent picks up right where Divergent left off and the action felt pretty nonstop starting from page one.  New obstacles, questions of who to trust and more information about their society just kept popping up. And Tris! I had forgotten how much I loved her character. She's seriously one of the toughest heroines I've read about.  She takes charge and trusts her instincts.  So much happens to her between these two books and she's goes through quite the emotional rollercoaster.  As the reader, you feel so much for her and even though I've never experienced what she's gone through, I connected with her anyway. I know I shouldn't compare her to Katniss but I realize that's what was missing for me when I read The Hunger Games. Don't get me wrong, I still think Katniss is pretty bad-ass but there was very little about her character/personality that resonated with me in a way that I could relate to. I also like that there's no love triangle.  There is romance (Four!) and I think it's important to story (because I love their scenes) but it doesn't overwhelm the book. There's much more going on.

The bad: Remember that despite Tris' struggles, she's still a 16-year-old girl. So expect some angst and tension in her relationship with Four. I don't think these are bad things because I think they add to the story.  But there were a couple moments when I wanted to tell Tris to just talk to her man already. 

Do I recommend?:
Yes yes yes! After I finished the book, I talked to Loren about it the next day so I could harass her to read them and I found myself saying that I enjoy these books more than The Hunger Games.  High praise, I know.  But I really do feel that way.  You won't be disappointed (I hope!). 

Happy reading!

PS.  This is my 100th post! :)

2 comments

  1. YAY 100 POST!! I did not read it though b/c I am reading this book now and I don't want to be spoiled. but I had to say... YAY 100TH POST! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I'm hooked on these books. Just finished Divirgent and I'm already like halfway through Insurgent. It's a toss up on what's my fave btwn this and Hunger Games..but I'd love to see Katniss and Tris team up lol. The coolest I part I think is that Veronica Roth is only 22?!!?! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel