Latest Read: The Darkest Minds

Here are the basics ...
Book: The Darkest Minds
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Sitehttp://www.alexandrabracken.com/
Category: Young Adult - Dystopian

Summary: When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed and she gets sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp”.  While she survives the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, she and others have been cursed with frightening abilities they can't control.  Now sixteen, Ruby barely escapes with her life. She's desperate to find a safe haven for kids like her but there are people who will stop at nothing to use her as a weapon.  Ruby will be faced with a choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living. (Adapted from Goodreads

[Note: ARC c/o BEA! Book officially available December 12, 2012!]
My thoughts…
The good:  I got to the last page of this book and three thoughts crossed my mind: OMG, wow and there had better be a sequel! (There are two more books - yay!) One of many things I appreciated about this book is the time the author took to build this world.  It's not an easy premise, in fact it's a very scary one.  Children are either dying or emerging with powers they can't control.  I thought she captured the horrible aftermath and the terror Ruby felt so vividly.  Then the book really started to pick up once she joined another group of kids with abilities - Liam, Chubs and Zu.  I loved their little family.  It wasn't this instant thing. They were all trying to survive and didn't know who they could trust.  I enjoyed how Ruby, after being so afraid of herself and her inability to control her powers, slowly opened up to each of them in a different way.  But I especially loved her and Liam (if you decide to read this book, I'm sure you'll agree!).  And that ending! It all happened so fast (in a good way) - I just didn't see it coming and once I understood the choice she was about to make, it was heartbreaking.

The bad:  If you're the type of reader who wants to get thrown into all the action from the get-go, then be forewarned that this book isn't like that.  It's more of a slow burn and then the story takes off.  Also about Ruby.  I'll be honest, sometimes I'd get frustrated with her character but looking back, I see now that's just how Ruby feels about herself and you the reader feel that too.  In hindsight, it's definitely not a bad thing when you consider her circumstances.

Do I recommend?:  I do! If you're a fan of dystopian fiction (and X-Men), you'll enjoy this book!

Happy reading!

3 comments

  1. Oh, I am SO EXCITED to read this! I picked it up at BEA as well, and it sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I had no idea what to expect and I loved it. We must discuss when you get to it! :)

      Delete
  2. yes! i have to read this... and....another book to my never ending list.... :)

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel