Latest Read: Origin

Here are the basics ...
Book: Origin
Author: Jessica Khoury
Site: http://www.jessicakhoury.com/
Category: Young Adult

Summary: Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life. Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever. (Adapted from Goodreads.com

[Note: ARC c/o BEA! Book officially available September 4, 2012!]

My thoughts…
The good:  I expected the book to be a straight-forward science fiction novel with some romance thrown in (which it is for the most part) but there are a lot of underlying themes too.  And it is those themes which take the plot to another level.  Pia, after being isolated for so long and trained by scientists who have basically shaped her every thought, finally starts thinking for herself when she sneaks out of the compound.  From that point on, she ponders the meaning of life and death, morality, science, religion, family and love. She starts questioning everything she's ever been told and I think that was the most interesting part of the book. That and the mystery behind the lab/her existence.  Her relationship with Eio also plays a big role and for the most part, I thought the way they came together was really sweet. 

The bad
:  Pia and Eio suffer from instant love (though I admit, I initially thought more time had passed until Pia said it had been less than a week) and slightly over-dramatic moments.  But to the author's credit, it didn't bother me as much as it does with other books.  I think because there were a lot more things going on than just their relationship and I was more interested in mystery of the plot. 

Do I recommend?:  
I do.  It's a slow-moving book but once secrets get revealed, the pace definitely picks up.  Overall, I thought it was an good read that brings up interesting questions about science and life/death. 

Happy reading! 

1 comment

  1. I love that the character starts asking questions about things like the ones you've mentioned in your review. It's always intriguing to me, that sort of introspection.

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel