Latest Read: Jellicoe Road

Here are the basics ...
Book: Jellicoe Road
Author: Melina Marchetta
Site: http://www.melinamarchetta.com.au/
Category: Young Adult

Summary: Taylor is the leader of the boarders at the Jellicoe School. She has to keep the upper hand in the territory wars and deal with Jonah Griggs - the enigmatic leader of the cadets, and someone she thought she would never see again. And now Hannah, the person Taylor had come to rely on, has disappeared. Taylor's only clue is a manuscript about five kids who lived in Jellicoe eighteen years ago. She needs to find out more, but this means confronting her own story, making sense of her strange, recurring dream, and finding her mother - who abandoned her on the Jellicoe Road. (Adapted from goodreads.com

My thoughts…
The good: I've been thinking about Jellicoe Road all day.  Specifically - how am I going to write this review? It's a tough one.  Not because the book wasn't good (um, it was amazing!) but because it's such a complex, multi-layered and above all, beautifully-told story.  A story that has this dream-like and mysterious quality to it so I definitely don't want to give too much away.

The beginning is a little chaotic.  There are a lot of characters introduced and you're learning about two major story lines simultaneously but you have no idea how or even if they're connected, plus there are still some minor stories to keep track of too (see what I mean?).  It's a lot.  But trust me, there's this moment where it all just clicks. I remember getting chills and from that point on, I did not want to put the book down.  The characters really come alive through the author's words.  And they're not just dealing with run-of-the-mill typical teenager stuff (although there is some romance - two words, JONAH GRIGGS).  They're dealing with family, friendship (love love love the friendships), abandonment, death, loss, drugs, forgiveness. Almost every character has a past to confront and come to terms with.  The book is mainly told from Taylor's point-of-view and while I did really like her as a heroine, she isn't the most likable person all the time.  Then you get these glimpses of her vulnerability and what she craves more than anything (love, security, family) and you understand why she is the way she is.  So when she does come out of her shell, you're rooting for her to find happiness and the answers she's looking for.  I definitely was, at least.

The bad:  I don't have anything bad to say but I will bring up the chaotic beginning again. I sort of expected it based on what other bloggers had said, so I made sure to keep going and trust me, it pays off! Another minor thing, I had to get used to some of the terminology (the story takes place in Australia).  I won't lie.. I definitely googled "singlet" (it's a sleeveless shirt).

Do I recommend?: Yes! I can see myself reading this book again in the future and that doesn't happen too often.

Happy reading!

2 comments

  1. I LOVED this book, even with its chaotic beginning. It was just beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/09/jellicoe-road-by-melina-marchetta.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! =D

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel