Latest Read: Dreamland Social Club

Here are the basics ...
Book: Dreamland Social Club
Author: Tara Altebrando
Site: http://www.taraaltebrando.com/
Category: Young Adult

Summary: Jane has traveled the world with her father and brother, but it's not until her fractured family, still silently suffering from the loss of Jane's mother many years before, inherits a house and a history in Coney Island that she finally begins to find a home. With the help of a new community of friends, a mermaid's secrets, and a tattooed love interest with traffic-stopping good looks, the once plain Jane begins to blossom and gains the courage to explore the secrets of her mother's past. (Adapted from goodreads.com

My thoughts…
The good: Looking back on Dreamland Social Club, what struck me the most was how vivid and dreamlike (no pun intended it was) it was. The imagery the author conjures up of Coney Island, the rides, boardwalk and even the "freaks" Jane went to school with made me feel as if I was right there with her.

Jane was an interesting protagonist. In the beginning, I kind of felt like she was just going through the motions of.. life. That she was someone who almost wanted to fade into the background and I didn't know what to think about that. But as the book went on, she starts delving into her past, taking chances and finding her inner "sass" (as Leo put it). That's when her character came alive for me and I wanted so badly for her to find all the answers she was looking for and a sense of belonging. But really, all the characters came alive as the book progressed. They became more than just the carnival freaks  Jane saw them as at first glance. They're all struggling to fit in and find happiness in their own way. And among those people, Jane finds herself most drawn to Leo. I enjoyed their relationship and how the author drew it out. Granted I was yelling (internally) at Leo or someone to just do something already but.. I like that they took it slow and learned each other's secrets and deepest thoughts little by little. It was very well-done.

The bad: The book is divided into three parts and I have to admit, the first part was really slow. It wasn't until the second and especially the third part that I felt hooked. But I think, in the end, the build up was worth the wait.

Do I recommend?: Yes! I really enjoyed Jane's journey of self-discovery and learning who her mother was at her age.  This was a very unique book.

Happy reading!

1 comment

  1. I love the cover of this book. And I love the fact that it's set in Coney Island. I really need to read this!

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel