Latest Read: Embrace & Entice

Here are the basics ...
Book: Embrace (The Violet Eden Chaptesr #1), Entice (#2)
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Site: http://www.jessicashirvington.com/
Category: Young Adult - Fantasy/Paranormal

Summary: Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday, which also marks anniversary of her mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before. Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth - she's only half human. A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden… (Adapted from goodreads.com
My thoughts…
The good: What immediately stood out for me about this series was the mythology.  The author took familiar principles about angels and gave it this unique, intricate twist.  She incorporated religion and Bible passages (I have to admit, the Catholic in me would occasionally get shocked by her choice of words!) and I felt that set it apart from other angel books I've read.  It wasn't hard to appreciate the details that went into the world building, explaining how and why the heroine Violet is half-angel and of course, the (clearly about to get epic!) battle between fallen angels and those who protect humans.

As far as heroines go, Violet definitely falls into the bad-ass category. She's not a damsel-in-distress and likes to fight her own battles.  And for someone who's just discovered she's half-angel, she takes the news surprisingly well. I mean she definitely makes her fair share of really questionable choices and bad decisions and she expresses a ton of anger.  But who wouldn't in her position? She does need to work on her communication skills though. Just saying. 

There are a lot of characters fighting alongside Violet and I found myself intrigued by almost all of them.  There's her best friend Steph (who is awesomely understanding), the other Grigori she befriends (my favorite being Spence) and then the two men who make up the "triangle", Lincoln and Phoenix.  Personally, I think it's pretty obvious who her choice will be. But getting to that choice - not so easy for Violet and this is where she made some of her most frustrating decisions.  But it does provide for some interesting plot twists in the second book (which I enjoyed the most of the two). 

(Medium) reservations: I don't want to give much away but I did have a couple issues.  One of them had to do with the fixation on Violet's sex life. It's totally open for discussion with everyone and held against her (think Buffy/Angel type consequences) and I didn't like that. I mean yeah, who she sleeps with is important.. to her. But I don't think one decision she made in that department should define her. It felt a little too preachy at times. 

Do I recommend?: I do! If you're into paranormal and fantasy novels and especially if you like reading about angels, this is one to check out.  It's one of those series that I think will get better with each book. 

Happy reading!   

1 comment

  1. I'm curious about this series, but I have yet to read it. I've read a few angel books, but this sounds like a pretty good one!

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel