Latest Read: Take a Bow

Here are the basics ...
Book: Take a Bow
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Site: http://www.elizabetheulberg.com/
Category: Young Adult

Summary: Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together but wonder if they could be more. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale. (Adapted goodreads.com
My thoughts…
The good: So, I think that Emme from Take A Bow might just be the nicest female character in all of YA.  She's this petite, shy, insecure yet extremely talented songwriter who is the best kind of friend a person could ask for. I love the way her character was written.  Because she's this normal girl who's awkward around guys, works hard at school and spends time with her friends.  She just also happens to be a musical prodigy.  Even though she's the person I connected with the most, I loved all the characters (except for Sophie but you're supposed to hate her).  Ethan, Jack and Ben are Emme's bandmates and closest friends.  They meet during their freshmen year at the performing arts school and have been a band ever since.  Their friendship was easily the highlight of the book for me.  They're all overprotective of Emme, encourage her, believe in her talent when she doesn't, banter and make great music together. I found myself wishing I had a group of guy friends like that.  I'd settle for even one.

The musical aspect of the plot was really well-told. Actually, the whole story was well-told.  I enjoyed how we got to learn about the competitiveness of being in the performing arts and the passion they each felt for music. The entire book was fast-paced and easy to read. Once I started, I didn't want to stop until I reached the end.

(Potential) reservations: This isn't a bad thing for me but it is a very lighthearted book and the chapters alternate between four different characters.  So the author doesn't really spend a lot of time delving into the characters' complexities. You pretty much know who they are and want they want from the get-go.  The book is about watching (or rather reading about) them getting to that point.

Do I recommend?: I do! I was in the mood for a fun, cute read with heart and this book provided just that.

Happy reading!

1 comment

  1. I really want to read this now, because it sounds like it's a lot of fun! Plus, I loved her first book, so I'm pretty sure I'll like this one too. :D

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel