Latest Read: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Here are the basics ...
Book: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (#2)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Site: http://www.michellehodkin.com/
Category: Young Adult

Summary: Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. She can’t. She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren’t. She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She’s wrong. In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next? (Adapted goodreads.com
My thoughts…
The good: I don't know how to begin to describe this book.  Mostly because, two books in and I still don't understand what's going on. Which is both the most frustrating and the most intriguing thing about this series. In a very meta way, the book brings up a question that us readers have to ask ourselves - how do you deal with an unreliable protagonist?  Mara is still struggling to understand her abilities and the reappearance of Jude - the ex-boyfriend she accidentally killed. Or so she thought.  She starts seeing him everywhere and she believes he's truly alive and terrorizing her.  But the blackouts, sleepwalking and all the moments she doesn't remember aren't exactly helping her case.  No one believes her, except for Noah but even he has his doubts.  Still, he's the only person on her side and doing everything he can to help her uncover the source behind both their abilities and why they're intertwined.  Some interesting reveals lead to Mara and Noah learning more about their pasts and reconnecting with old characters.  They also continue to explore their own relationship.  Which is both swoon-worthy and snarky as ever.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading about them.  And in this book, we get to learn much, much more about Noah Shaw.  In The Unbecoming, he was this mysterious knight-in-shining-armor that fell for Mara and tried to protect her. In The Evolution, he's still that guy but we learn more that he's got a dark history and even darker side (but it's not necessarily a bad thing!).  Then I can't leave out the final twist that I refuse to believe.  But wow, way to the end the book! The third book needs to come out tomorrow.

(Some) reservations:  I do wish a little more had been revealed and less time was spent in the mental institutions. I understand the purpose and with these books, I do kinda feel like you need to just hang on for the crazy, rollercoaster ride.  But what can I say? I like answers! And the lack of answers and moving forward did feel pretty frustrating.  Mara and Noah were at a standstill - with both their relationship and what to do about Jude/their abilities.  I wanted to understand what was going on (at least some of it!) instead of having more questions.  I don't know any more now than I did when I read the first book.

Do I recommend?:  I do! It really is different from most books I've read and more than ever, I want to know where everything is headed.  If you've already read the first one, keep going.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be revealed in the next book.

Happy reading!

0 comments

with love,

Rachel