Looking back on 2012 ...

I had a lot of high expectations for 2012 and even though things didn't work out according to plan, it was an amazing year all the same. I really wanted to experience new things and just say yes more in general, even if it meant stepping out of my comfort zone a bit. And surprisingly I did do that in little ways, like taking yoga classes or agreeing to go to lunch with someone I barely know. But funnily enough, my fondest memories from this past year are the times I actually took advantage of being near the city. You'd think this was a no-brainer since I'm there almost every day but you'd be surprised as to how little time I actually spend exploring what's around me. My daily routine consists of going to work, occasionally meeting up with friends for dinner and then going home. But this past year I attended Book Expo America with Michelle and got to meet some of my favorite authors (Julie Kagawa! Veronica Roth!). I saw Once the Musical for my birthday, went to the Shecky's Girls Day out & Wine Getaway in the Hamptons. I discovered a little store by my office called Books of Wonder, where I got meet and listen to some amazing authors (while hanging out with amazing friends). Then there was the Le Taste of France Show, a Javier Dunn concert (who I met!), a Hello Kitty art exhibit and walking along Highline Park on a beautiful summer day. But not all my memories are tied to New York. I also planned the first ever cousins-only vacation in Portland, Maine, which was SO much fun and exactly what we needed. Because a few months after that, I watched one of those cousins get married and really saw for the first time that we were all growing up. 

That's probably one of my biggest takeaways from this past year. That I'm 29 and turning 30 in six months (which may have prompted a minor internal freak out a couple months ago). But it hit me that I can't put things off anymore. If I want to get a new job or move out or meet a nice guy, these things aren't going to magically happen for me. Not that I've been lazy about it but I keep waiting for the right time and you know, I'm thinking this is it. There's never going to be a "perfect time", just that moment when I decide to go for what I want. And I really believe.. no, I intend to make 2013 that time. At least one thing in my life has to majorly change. That's my resolution for next year. 

This was really, really hard to do and even as I'm writing this and looking at the above image, a dozen honorable mentions come to mind. I just read so many awesome books this year and a few of these even snuck onto my favorites list within the last month. But I'm sticking with it, so here goes! 

[from top to bottom, left to right]
Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly // North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley // The Fault in Our Stars by John Green // Saving June by Hannah Harrington // Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta // Insurgent by Veronica Roth // Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo // Prodigy by Marie Lu // My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick // Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi // The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken // The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas // Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas // Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson // What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton // Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor.

Each of these books made an impression on me in some way. Through laughter, tears, intense moments that made me hold my breath in anticipation, unforgettable characters and a million other reasons I'm probably forgetting to list. If you've already read these books, then you probably (and hopefully!) agree with me. But if you haven't, I highly recommend checking them out.

***

One last thing and I swear I'll shut up. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who reads my blog. Everyone who's taken the time to comment or tweet or was just super nice to me. And of course, those few special people who started reading from day one. I know I'm still a newbie with a handful of followers but having this blog has been so fulfilling. I really didn't expect that. I love writing here, getting to interact and sometimes meet with fellow book lovers, having the opportunities to read ARCs and seeing authors mention my reviews. Even after more than a year, it still feels exciting. Ultimately I read and write because I love it but it's always nice to know someone is listening and appreciating what I have to say. So thank you! I'm looking forward to another year of this, and hopefully many more!

4 comments

  1. I love reading your blog and enjoy every post you wrote during this year. Reading recaps of 2012 is my new year's eve activity. My goal for 2013 is change too. I wish you a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower of your blog, but have loved what I've read so far! This is a great end-of-year recap! I'm wishing that I'd thought of doing this too, since I've seen so many great posts today. Oh well, there's always next year, right?

    I hear you on the turning-30 thing. I turned 30 last March and, although it was a little nerve-wracking at first, I'm really happy that I'm 30 now. So I hope that you have a similar experience -- just remember, with age comes wisdom =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Rachel. That's pretty much all. xo

    Okay, there's probably more where that came from... I'm so glad we met this year and became friends! It's been awesome to hang out with you and gush over books and talk about life, and I look forward to more memories in 2013 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just recently discovered your blog and I love it. I remember turning 30 and I was quite upset. I don't think any other age will bother me but honestly, that one did. Not sure why but it did. Good list of top books. I'll be adding some to my List of Possibilities thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel