Latest Read: The Goddess Inheritance

Here are the basics ...
The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test #3) by Aimée Carter
Publication date: Feb. 26, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Category: Young Adult - Greek Mythology
Source: Won a copy from the author for review through Twitter :)

Summary: During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal. In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead. With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything. (Adapted goodreads.com
My thoughts…
The good: Oh Kate, I wanted to both high-five you for your strength and strangle you for your poor decision-making. What's always struck me about Kate as a main character was her kindness, her steadfast love for Henry and how she demanded that her voice be heard among gods much older than her. Those qualities are still very much alive in this book. She's faced with an impossible situation: how to save her family and you know, the WORLD, while facing down Calliope and Cronus. I loved that she never once stopped fighting for ways in which she could help. Even if her "help" led to more disasters. But it wasn't her entirely fault because everyone, including Henry, wanted to keep her meek and protected at all times so she often didn't know all the facts. I admired how she refused to be handled this way.

Another aspect of the book I really enjoyed - the relationships. And not necessarily just the romantic kind. We got to see a purer (and more fun) friendship between Kate and James, one that wasn't confused by "what ifs". There were subtle mother-daughter moments between Kate and Diana that I really appreciated among all the chaos. And best of all, Kate and Henry's relationship is finally solid! I can't tell you how happy and relieved that made me. That's not to say that they don't go through some obstacles because they do. A LOT of them.

Overall, there's a lot more action in this book. It's all about the impending war and how to stop Calliope and Cronus's evil plans. There were also a lot of surprising twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I had been waiting to get my hands on The Goddess Inheritance (ever since I read the last page of Goddess Interrupted!) and I thought it was a satisfying and fitting end to the series.

(Some) reservations: My one reservation was probably the battle scenes. I loved the idea of Kate and all the gods we've come to know facing down Calliope and Cronus. I wish there had been more descriptions about how they fought because I kept trying to picture it but couldn't get a clear image in my mind. I was curious to know more about what exactly made Henry so powerful.

Do I recommend?: As I've said before in my previous review, it's an entertaining series with a light modern twist on Greek mythology and that definitely still stands. If you've begun the books already, see it through to the end.

Happy reading!

1 comment

  1. I totally agree with your review! There's much to be said for how well Kate + Henry's relationship is (FINALLY) handled in this book; I was totally rooting for them. And I liked Kate in this one! The only thing that could have used some work was the epic battle/showdown...

    ReplyDelete

with love,

Rachel